JUMP START YOUR DAY AND YOUR METABOLISM WITH A QUALITY PROTEIN BREAKFAST
When embarking on a low sugar/low carbohydrate lifestyle, I have found that the one meal people tend to struggle with is breakfast.
For decades now, people seem to reach for the processed carbohydrate options for their morning meal such as shop bought cereals and smoothies, low fat yogurts, fruit juice, jams, breads and pastries rather than a protein alternative. All of the above foods, are hugely high in sugar and will leave you looking for more of the same within an hour or so of eating them.
The best start to the day is with a good healthy breakfast, and that should be quality proteins such as eggs, meat, nuts and seeds, cheese, butter or full fat yogurts with a few berries thrown in. A protein rich breakfast will set you up nicely for the day, prevent mid morning grazing and giving you optimal appetite control which in the long run, will also help with weight management.
Here are 6 ideas for a quality protein breakfast, why not give them a go?
- Seeded bread, http://nutritionstripped.com/nourishing-nut-seed-bread/ I have tried lots of different recipes but this one is my favourite. Its protein rich, full of goodness and so filling…delish!! Once It’s made, I cut it into slices and freeze them individually, then I can just take out one slice at a time. Because there are no preservatives in this loaf, it does go off quite quickly, but it is delicious. This bread can be eaten toasted or untoasted and topped with eggs, bacon, marmite, cheese or just enjoyed on its own with proper butter.
- Bacon and egg breakfast cups. Get yourself a muffin tin, line each hole with a rasher of bacon, add other ingredients such as mushrooms, peppers, sausage etc., then crack an egg on the top, season with salt and pepper then bake in the over at 180 degree Celsius, until the yolks are cooked to your liking. These are delicious warm from the oven or cooled and stored in the fridge as a quick snack.
- Mexican breakfast hash, http://www.everylastbite.com/2014/12/19/mexican-breakfast-hash/ .This is another gorgeous breakfast idea. I found this recipe recently when looking for new breakfast ideas to feed a crowd. It went down a storm, sweet potato, onions, peppers, spinach, chorizo with lovely runny eggs and a squirt of lime, you should definitely try this one on a lazy Saturday or Sunday morning, when you have more time.
- This one is so simple but divine. Cut open an avocado, remove the stone, crack in an egg, season with salt and black pepper and bake in the oven at 180 degrees for about 10/15 minutes. Baked avocado goes all creamy, if you haven’t tried it before, have a go.
- If a hot breakfast is not for you, a bowl of full fat Greek yogurt or full fat cottage cheese, sprinkles with berries, nuts, seeds and flaked coconut, tastes quite indulgent. This is a good choice if you haven’t got much time in the morning.
- A regular in my house, a cooked frittata is fantastic to have sliced in your fridge for an emergency snack. There are so many flavours and variations, anything in the veg, cheese and meat line goes. My favourite is roasted butternut squash, red onion and feta cheese, you just have to find your favourite concoction and you too will have those hungry food moments covered!! These make a great hot breakfast, then slice the remainder up and keep in the fridge for an anytime snack.
Try switching from high sugar to high protein and feel the difference…..